Skip to main content

Interjected Wisdom

 Eventually, I did get home from my weekend with Rabbit, albeit tired and ready for real rest.  Squishy was already home, and so I was getting her caught up on some things.  At one point she asked something about him, and I mentioned that I'm a comfort person for him, and a place of safety and trust, due to the friendship we've built.

And she looked at me, then, whether she understood it or not, said "You should be platonic partners".

She then went on to say that she doesn't actually understand love, so she just tells all her friends that she platonically loves them.  Which sounded far more like her, but that one moment, had far more wisdom behind it than I think she realized.

Mind you, she knows that I'm polyamorous.  She knows that I practice relationship anarchy.  She even knows that I am aromantic.  She's very used to me having a strong connection to people, and showing them care without having to have a romantic relationship, and I think it's helped her in the long run.

And, I think she's mostly got it down with how I like to live.  If I could have like five or six people who are incredibly important to me, regardless of any attraction or the type of connection I have, I would be happy going about my life that way.

The idea of platonic partners is so wonderfully appealing to me.  Sharing life in many ways, with all the comfort and safety of having someone there, but without the expectations or pressures of romantic relationships.  There isn't the clouded judgement of romantic butterflies.  There's just trust and friendship built over time, strengthened by everything we go through, and making the choice every day to continue to show care.

Maybe sometimes, my kid is a little more wise than they're aware of.

Comments