Skip to main content

Inevitable, but Making the Best

 My birthday also happened last month, and so right after going to Brooklyn, I had a short amount of time to repack, and prepare for Rabbit to come and pick me up for a long visit with him again.  We had made some plans for my birthday, which fell through, but immediately turned into backup plans that we were both excited for.

I had sent him with most of my things the week before, which meant that we could finally ride the bike from my place to his, so long as I packed lightly enough to fit everything in the saddlebags.  He wanted me to bring rope, which means we had to fit a second bag, and that just barely managed to fit.  But we got up early and got on the road, with a fantastic ride across the state during the morning sun.  We then got over to his parents' house, where he had some papers to sign, and I made sure he had as much time with the piano and accordion as he wanted.  It was wonderful to see him just decompress and play, and all the joy it brought him.

There's some more stories about the trip as a whole, in particular with rope and his parents, but those are coming soon.  Right now, birthday.

Friday comes along, and Rabbit had a morning shift at work.  I woke up, looked at my phone, and saw a message from him, the day before my birthday, saying that his friends who we were supposed to spend a day with in DC couldn't make it, and didn't tell us until that morning.  Which means our second set of plans were falling through.  I had to talk to Pyre, because we had also made plans to see her on my birthday itself.  She had a show she was vending at Saturday morning, so she opted to reschedule us hanging out, since she would probably be dead.

Which meant that again, after trying to make plans for my birthday, then having backups, I wound up with nothing to do.  Luckily, Rabbit has been an amazingly supportive person, and last minute on my birthday, we decided to have a trip down to Philly that we wanted to have back in June before everything happened, and while he kept saying he was going to get me a birthday present, he found stuff for himself everywhere, and nothing jumped out to me.  Regardless, it was a fun little adventure.

Then we played that night in a way that I will talk about another time, but was enlightening to him in a host of ways.  The next morning we finally got around to doing rope and wax, which we'd talked about for a while, which I joked was turning him into my birthday cake.  It was another adventure he enjoyed, and given his response to rope, has been giving me more incentive to get better with tying, and learn more about the physics of rope.

It was a birthday of growth, adaptation, and education.  I can take that as a sign for the next year.

Comments