Skip to main content

Hit by a Bus

 At the beginning of the month, Squishy was supposed to spend a weekend with the gnome.  A short, normal weekend that initially I was planning on just spending time getting ahead on creating things, because I want to have things done through my trip out of the country fairly soon.  Rabbit wanted to try and move things around so that he would have the chance to go fishing, and so I suggested that so long as I could go home early, I could spend most of the weekend with him.  I would just need to either bust my butt to get through editing, or he would need to make a little gremlin cubby for me to be able to record.

So I packed a small bag, and tried to spend some time at his place getting some little things done.  The Saturday that I was at his place, while he was at work, I get a message from the gnome.  He says that Squishy doesn't feel well, and I recommend that she take a test.  Before he even told me that she tested positive, he said she could quarantine there.  I tested, then called my parents, and they were curious if I would be staying with Rabbit for the extra time.  I was still waiting on everyone else to test, and sitting in limbo was frustrating, but I couldn't make a decision without more information.  I tested negative, but had to wait for everyone else.

I double checked with the gnome that he would keep Squishy, and suddenly he said that she couldn't stay with him.  That they had to send her home even though there she has her own room and bathroom, and could more easily isolate.  My parents tested negative, and asked if I wanted to stay with Rabbit again.  I called him, and we spoke and decided it was best for me to go home for a short time, pull out what she would need for school, and what I would need for a couple more days, and I would get more done away.  When I called my parents, they started screaming at me that I come home, and that even though they offered, they just wanted me to ignore it.  It didn't at all matter my thoughts, and again I felt like I didn't matter as a person, and was just being tossed to the side and treated like a punching bag.  Rabbit offered to come home from work early, but the last thing that I wanted was to feel like a burden for something that wasn't absolutely necessary, so I told him to stay.

The next morning I went home, and tried to get some little things done while taking things easy because I noticed myself getting a little light headed.  I told myself that I would focus on all the little things that I hadn't gotten around to doing, and that would be my main focus for the week.  While having lunch on Sunday, I was waiting for Squishy to get home, and Rabbit called on his first break.  I got a text from the gnome, saying that now he would let her stay with him for the majority of the week.  All the frustration never needed to happen, and I didn't need to be tossed around like an object.  This however meant that the house wasn't locked down, and I could see Rabbit again the next day like we'd planned.  We decided to get through some difficult things Monday night, and Tuesday morning, then use most of Tuesday to replenish his spoons.

After most of a day used to help recharge, I found out that Squishy wouldn't be back until Thursday afternoon.  I joked about heading back to his place for two days, and while I felt badly about having him drive me back again, he assured me that he wanted to spend the time, and was excited to do it.  I packed up my office, and a small bag of clothes, and off we went.  That night, he told me he wasn't feeling well, and that he was going to test.  That test, and every home test after that was negative.  I started showing symptoms on Thursday.  Friday we had to go to urgent care and got a lab test done.  We were on our asses, and my parents said that they would suddenly now take care of Squishy, and to stay away while I was sick.

We wound up with both covid and the flu, and while I was feeling better after a couple of days, Rabbit got hit hard enough that we were both worried.  As of writing this I'm home again, and run down but not too bad.  He has a horrible cough still, can't taste anything, and is only just now starting to be able to function.  We found out that new strains don't show up on home tests, and so only lab tests can really give you a correct telling.  It's difficult, because the country is trying to say this pandemic is over, but if people can't test at home, or think that a negative test means they can't spread anything, numbers are about to skyrocket.

Because of all this, we've cancelled our weekend of nothing, and now we're moving into the final stretch before we leave the country.  So much for a quiet month.

Comments