Skip to main content

Off Script

For years, I've written about how I see Valentine's as a day to show love for everyone in your life.  That it's important to me to remove the romance from it, and make love something to celebrate in all forms, and show that to anyone you care about.

This year, I have a Rabbit who is silly, cheesy, and encourages actually observing and celebrating holidays together.  Something that honestly, I've never really had.

We made plans to spend the weekend after the holiday together, because Squishy had a long weekend, and we've both had a lot going on.  It worked out well as far as I was concerned, because initially it was supposed to be a long weekend after over a week apart, due to his work schedule being messed with.  After the emergency with one of the dogs, it still worked in my head, because we would each get a chunk of time to get our own things taken care of.

I was entirely prepared to spend Valentine's apart, and ok with it, because it was something I was used to, and we already had plans in place.  I was getting things done, and getting ready to see him a few days later.

However, at one point he called me on the phone, and asked what we were having for dinner here.  When I mentioned it, he said he was excited.  It took me a minute, but I realized he was in his truck and on his way to see me, for just a couple of hours, as a surprise for the holiday.  I panicked and ran around to make myself slightly less of a potato, and hide the project I'm working on.  

In many ways, I still need to work on being ok with getting surprises, and having people want to invest in, and spend time with me.  It's something that makes me anxious in a lot of ways, because I still expect it to wind up biting me in the ass.  When he got here though, and assured me that it was just because he wanted to surprise me and see me, I was excited to just wrap my arms around him.  He kept laughing because I would randomly stop what I was doing to kiss him, and said it was all worth it with my response.

And then the weekend came, and while it didn't quite start as planned, I made it to his place, and we eventually had some time together, and got to just relax on our own.  We had dinner with his parents, and I set up the Nintendo Switch to have some of his favorite games on it.

The next day was supposed to be an evening where we had time to ourselves, but I remembered that it was his roommate's birthday over the weekend, and asked if we wanted to surprise him.  So rather than an evening of dinner, snuggles, and sex, he had friends pick up a cake, and we snuck everyone in when he would have normally been with his kids.  

He was overjoyed, and mentioned that he would have just been painting minis by himself if we hadn't done anything, so I'm glad that I was able to suggest it, and do something for him.

The rest of the weekend was a bit of a whirlwind of trying to get things done, and just clearing our heads.  It certainly wasn't what we had intended, and not at all what I had pictured the week to be, but it was ours, a first of hopefully many more to come, and a space of love in many forms.

Comments