Skip to main content

A Foundation

While Lux and I were in Philly, we ran into someone who had been to some events we had, and were chatting a bit.  I told him that I was teaching at them, and listing off what I taught, in case he had seen them in the line up.

His reaction was a bit of surprise, because my classes are so specific and require a lot of education and expertise.  After a moment of quiet, he just said he teaches 101 style skill techniques, and I just kept the conversation like those classes were on the same level.

I know I bring classes that aren't common in the scene.  I know I bring something that takes more training and understanding than a lot of kink basics.  I also have a lot more education and experience than even most kink educators in the scene when it comes to dance.  However, even as a dancer, I still attend beginners classes, because they're important.

101 and basics classes are incredibly important.  You need to put together something that is easy enough to digest for people who have no previous knowledge, but can include everything someone might need to be able to turn that into something, be it a scene, or how to dance to a song, or whatever it is you are teaching.  You are creating a skeleton in these classes, and that's vital for anyone.

Likewise, I love going to basics classes because they can help me both as a teacher, and as a student.  I want other dancers to point out my bad habits that I may not be aware of anymore.  I want to improve my own skills.  I also want to pay attention to how things are being taught.  They might present a piece of information I had forgotten about, and note to include in my own curriculum.  Something might be worded in a more digestible way, and I keep that in mind for the future.  And sometimes, I just want a refresher on those basics.  When we focus so much on complex and advanced mechanics, we sometimes need to move back to square one, and slow things down.  Focusing just on those first few things can actually be hard sometimes, because we can't add in all the extra things we've learned over time.

I like to be weird.  I like to bring something unique to the table, and share that.  However, for everyone like me, there needs to be someone creating strong foundations.

Comments