Skip to main content

Vaguely Off-Putting

A week ago, I was talking to Lux early in the morning.  I had been in a poor brain space, but was saying that I would do better that day, because I could make sure I was more packed, and had a ton to do in general.  I was getting Squishy ready for her last day of school before her break started, and talking about random things. 

I looked at her and asked if when I travel I should look like a business goth, or super goth.  She answered super goth, and I told Lux about her answer.

He didn't agree, saying that he noticed that he is treated significantly better when he dressed up to travel. 

I told him that if I was flying, I would absolutely agree with him, because I would need to deal with the higher security.  With buses and trains however, I needed to look far less inviting.  When I travel people look at how small I am, and how young I look, and decide from there that I can be spoken for.  I've had men think they can try something with me on the trains, and needed to pull out my knives.  What I need to do is look just the slightest bit threatening, because while I know I can talk to security and explain that I mean no harm, I need to simply make people want to avoid me from how I look.

It's a very different situation as compared to Lux, and after a moment, he understood.

And, as it turned out, dressing more goth, and looking less cordial wound up working.  I talked to one person the entire trip up, and I was helping her find out why her train was running late.

It helps to be goth, and to always look vaguely intimidating and off-putting.

Comments