Skip to main content

A Night Away

Last weekend, after a long time away, I spent some time with Zero.

We hadn't seen each other in a long time, and it was good to catch up, and actually spend time together.

Friday night we wound up going to a friend's house, and I saw a ton of people from my old larp.  They were surprised to see me, and it's always fun to show off how small the world is.  I found myself falling into my normal extroverted role, and Zero fell more into the background, speaking up only occasionally.

It's always interesting to see how we wind up behaving in groups, even when we're around friends.

The next day I wound up getting some work done, and then we went to a hobby shop.  While I was looking forward to the idea of a myriad of things, I found the place to be only full of models for tabletop combat games.  The men there had no idea what to talk about as soon as I said that I didn't play any of them myself, but had knowledge or skill in a ton of other nerdy things.  They were simultaneously gatekeeping, intimidated, and confused over me, as Zero's girlfriend just talked about how she did small models when he buys them for her, and only does super simple ones with no details because she didn't want to do all the painting work, and they just boxed her into the normal girlfriend role, which isn't inaccurate to a lot of nerd spaces.

It was a strange weekend overall honestly.  It was good to spend time with Zero, but I felt like he was making space, and the places he goes to now are becoming more and more niche, to make them easier to digest.  Perhaps he simply can't process strong and broad personalities anymore, except for mine because I've been around so long.

Oh well, I get to be around forever.

Comments