Skip to main content

Looking for what fits

I've spoken here before about how I use Valentine's Day to celebrate all forms of love, and not just the romantic sort that tends to first pop into the minds of others.  However, lately in random moments, I find myself thinking about love languages, and what helps people feels the most cared for.  The things that feel intimate and romantic, which may not follow the more expected gestures.

I don't like a lot of stereotypical romantic gestures.  I find them flat and impersonal.  Things you do to go through the motions of the idea of romance, rather than creating something for just the person you care about.

Bring me to little holes in the wall that may not feel overly fancy, but let us relax.

Remember how I like my coffee, or be able to run into somewhere and grab me something small that you know I'll like.

Tell me you want to spend time just with me that day, not to manipulate me later, but just because you want that time.

I've learned that actions speak a million times louder than words, and it's the smaller things we do that say the most.

And that's where romance kicks in.  I see intention in those small gestures.  Even just the conscious effort to speak affirmations out of nowhere mean the world, because we forget to really share those words as often as we should.

Create genuine gestures today.  Show people how much you care by doing things they wouldn't think of in small ways.  Remember things about each other, and do something that only they would appreciate as much as they will.

Comments