Skip to main content

Annoying Lightbulbs

A few weeks ago I woke up to see a message from an old friend, Felix.  He had apparently felt a random urge to say hello to me when getting out of work.  I sent him a response, and things were quiet.

Fast forward a couple more days, and he was saying that he wanted to catch up, which I had no problem with.  He mentioned coming down, and I suggested going for coffee, spending some time, and just a normal hangout.  Less than a minute later, that turned into him talking about getting a hotel for two nights, and all manner of things. 

I reminded him that we had to plan around Squishy's school schedule.  I figured that would let him know that while I would be open to spending time with him, I wasn't putting my life on hold.  He still seemed receptive, and at 10:30PM, decided it was a good time to ask what I was doing.  Because I needed to get up in the morning for Squishy, I told him that at that point, I was getting ready for bed, because I was.  He disappointingly told me that it was a bad idea for a random visit then, and I agreed.

And that was where I very nearly stopped things altogether.  I should have cut things off there, asked what happened with the girl he had dropped his entire life trying to woo, and that there was no way I was going to let him try and rebound off of me again. 

I didn't though, being ready to just go to sleep at that point.

We were supposed to hang out at the end of that week, so I organized my week so I could give more social time around things I had to do.  And come the end of the week, I went to check in to see what his timetable looked like.

And I didn't hear from him.  I got ghosted right then and there.

I'm unsure if he freaked himself out thinking it might be a date, or finally woke up to the fact that it wouldn't be.  Either way, it was annoying as hell that he just up and disappeared when the chips were down.

Just another lesson that the people I have put into the past deserve to stay there.

Comments