Skip to main content

Happy Discovery

Last year for Christmas, we got Squishy a switch.  The main thing she wanted on it was Just Dance, and honestly, I still play it more often than she does.  The new game just came out, and to help market it, they were releasing new songs on the older games to play.

One of the new songs was Lizzo's "Boys".  I had noticed Lizzo being mentioned in headlines and such, but had no idea who she was, or what was so amazing about her music.  I however am not one to turn anything down without giving it a shot, and the preview looked fun, so I gave the song a try.

Now, if you haven't heard it before, I highly recommend it.  Go on, give it a listen.


Did you go?

Ok.

This song is fantastic.  It's very modern, but also carefully written.  In many ways, I found the song affirming.

It creates an idea that people (most  contextually female) can be sexual without wanting to be an object, but wanting to pursue men.  That women can want sex for themselves, and appreciate and desire men without it simply being to make those men happy.

On the other hand, it is very careful to not demand that overly masculine idea of men, or create an assumption of only referring to cis-men.  And even though I don't consider myself a transman, I'm generally close enough that it makes me feel included.

It's not often that I can find something that feels fitting in that broad a spectrum.  And while I haven't listened to more of her stuff, I'm glad that this game gave me the chance to find this at the very least.

Comments