Skip to main content

Still Not Ok

I woke up on Thursday still in the process of my mind settling, but prepared for a more peaceful, and productive day.  I knew I had a lot to do, but was prepared to try and get it all done.

The morning was met with some smaller speed bumps, mostly due to my own anxieties, but nothing horrible. 

While making lunch I saw a voicemail and went to listen to it.

The gnome actually filed a dispute claiming I was forcibly keeping Squishy from him, and there would be a hearing that afternoon.  And because Squishy was in the room when I played the message, already worried about being forced to travel, she was a mess.  She was mad at her father, who she didn't feel comfortable talking to previously, and now felt like she couldn't talk to at all.

I spent the day anxious, but knowing I had nothing to worry about.  He had no real leg to stand on with a dispute, and that was made very clear as soon as the hearing started.  The judge brought up that there was no record of a visitation order at any time, and so I wasn't breaking any contract or court order.  She also said that the dispute was filed as emergent action that would cause irreparable damage if she wasn't taken out of her home.  As she read all of these things, including that the gnome made note about mourning the death of her grandfather, I could tell that this was simply his hole to dig.  It was also then that I realized that this was him throwing a tantrum over his father passing, and him not wanting to process that.  Instead of actually taking time to manage loss himself, he would risk his daughter's health potentially just to be able to have something to flail over and focus on otherwise.

I think the judge could tell that, as I explained that I've been trying to help with Squishy's academics, behavioral issues, and keeping her in a house that is overall much lower risk.  She ended with saying that it very clearly wasn't emergent action, and keeping her here wasn't causing any damage.  She said the gnome would have to meet with a counselor, and then we would have another hearing on June 10th if he didn't drop the dispute.  She said this with such a tone of hoping he would just get his head out of his ass and drop everything that I knew where she stood on the issue as a whole.  This also put dates so close to the end of the school year, that it was more or less giving me what I had told him anyway.

I've told Squishy that before the 10th she should tell her father that she really doesn't feel safe traveling right now, and be consistent and sincere about it.  I'm hoping that he can take a moment to at least be a little less self-involved and not just think that I'm using her against him, because I know he'd be the kind of person to do that.

This is the last thing I needed, but I know I'm doing the right thing, and that makes me less worried.

Comments