Skip to main content

Owning History

The world is still scary, and I'm still fighting like hell while worrying about the safety of others.  Things aren't going to slow down soon, but on the bright side, some changes do look like they're starting to happen.

Some people are just grasping for whatever change they can try for though.  Like a child's hand reaching for anything it can, no matter if it should be touched or not, then claiming they helped.

She claimed, that given things going on, that the kink scene should completely remove the term "slave" because it hurts all the black people.  And of course, was over time creating an echo chamber by removing comments.  Immediately, I disagreed with it.  I'm Jewish, which means my history is completely covered in slavery.  Not just the "all cultures were slaves", but massively known periods of time where being a Jew meant you were less than.  My great grandparents threw away their history to run to America in hopes of being safe, and so I have no record of that side of my family.

When my mom first went to meet my dad's side of the family, after they were already married, the kids would try to pick through her hair, or look behind her, because they were taught that jews had horns and a tail like devils.

Still, I use slave to describe my role in the dynamic Lux and I have.  It has nothing to do with that history, and never have I once attached one usage to the other.  I think to do so would be incredibly closed-minded, because so many words can have power in different ways.  It has to do with what we've built, and the words we find most befitting.

I should point out that the person who posted this was white, with a very obvious northwestern european background.  At no point could she discuss familial hardships of her own, but simply said that the scene is anti-black, and that the term slave hurts people.  And while I only know so much of the scene, I don't know anyone who has ever said they were hurt or damaged by the title.

I remember being less comfortable with it being used for myself many many years ago now, but that was because I was still sort of coming into myself with longer term submission, and not to do with the history of the term.

We need to let the action be handled by the people dealing with the harm.  Then we point those who don't understand at it, to make it happen.  That's the purpose of having allies outside that group.

And right now, the role of slave can stay right where it is.

Comments