Skip to main content

A Self

I often have to encourage Squishy to speak up for herself, especially at home.  My parents follow that old mindset that they have say over people younger than them, and don't need to ever consider them ever.

It's caused a ton of issues with Squishy's comfort and appearance, which I have needed to help with in secret more than I should have to admit to.

The other morning, my mom, who is a hairdresser, called Squishy in while she was getting ready for school, saying there was something she wanted to do with Squishy's hair.  I knew it would likely be something she didn't like, just out of past experience.  A moment later, I heard Squishy asking about it, and my mom making statements like "I want this here" and "If you don't do this, I'm just going to cut your hair off". 

And it's unfortunate, because they are so heavily ignorant to their own abuse that I can't speak up without also being targeted.  If I tell them that she needs to make these decisions, they fight harder to hurt, like a toddler throwing a tantrum.

As Squishy walked away unhappy, I called her close.  Told her I would take out what was done while we were at the bus stop.  Quietly, she celebrated while hugging me.  As usual, I was making sure she was comfortable for the day, and prioritizing her, because I know how hard it is to have others try and control the way you look, and how being forced into something you don't feel comfortable in can affect your entire day.

The continued challenges of helping raise a person in a healthy way.

Comments