Skip to main content

Gate Kicking

About a week and a half ago, Pyre sent me a link.  She said that she went and got pre-approved, and reserved an appointment to look at a new car, which she very badly needed for a while from the sound of things.

While talking to her, she mentioned bringing Kitty along with her so he could tall white male privilege to help.  I then started dropping information on the things that need to be included in the sale, for her to look for.  She was surprised with all the knowledge I had on it, and so I offered to write up a list of all the things she needed to stand firm on, what she legally should expect, and the charges to call bullshit on.  Unsurprisingly, she hopped on that offer.

So being a good part of this polycule, I wrote up everything, albeit last minute, and hopefully helped her since she did wind up pulling the trigger on the car.

While talking about it though, I had mentioned that tall male privilege helps, but it really knocks people on their ass when you show how much you actually know, and that's something that I've had to do forever.

Especially with being a female geek, I've dealt with gate keeping, and being talked down to constantly.  Being someone who wasn't just going as a girlfriend, I had to be very prepared to shut people down when they would try to make me prove my knowledge or whatever bullshit.  Even today, I often have to catch myself starting a dick measuring contest of what I know, because it had to be done in order to be treated like a person for so long. 

I've tried to become more calm about it though, as my circles have calmed down and gotten less shitty.  It's something I still need to work on, but it's also something I'm always prepared to do when dealing with these situations, and to help others, because things like this will unfortunately always be somewhat present in my life.

Comments