Skip to main content

Nearly Dropped

I was sitting with my mother and her friend at the dining room table a while ago, and they were talking about random things, and the conversation somehow shifted to my brother's girlfriend's sibling, who is trans.  Yes, I know that is a long chain to say.

And my mother always, always makes a thing of him being trans, and pushes the point of misgendering him.  She makes excuses, waffles words around, makes up terms, and does everything she shouldn't do.

Her friend enables it, and then goes on about how it's not as bad as "those genderfluid people" and not understanding gender neutral pronouns.

They compare trans people to cross dressers, and invalidate them if they haven't had bottom surgery, and a pile of other things.  I tried to suggest things that would make them misgender people less, and while receptive, I doubt they'll take anything from it.

However, sitting there, I very nearly actually came out to them as Agender.  To say that the way they treat non-binary or transgender people makes them feel uncomfortable, and makes them feel unsafe, and that's why I don't tell them about myself.

But of course, because those things are true, I didn't say that.  The words were so close to falling out though, especially because I was in such a bad mental state for a couple days surrounding it.

I guess things will just continue how they are for a while longer.

Comments