Skip to main content

Pride

A couple weeks ago, Squishy took a day off a school, because he had a bunch of absent days to burn, and it was going to be nice out.  She still got up early, and as we were about to go put ourselves together for the day, I noticed something that acknowledged pride month.

I asked her if she knew what pride month was, even on a surface sort of way, and was told no.  So I explained, that while she has been taught that people love who they love, and are whatever gender they may happen to be, that they have to fight to be seen and treated as people, and now use pride to acknowledge that fight, and celebrate being themselves.  I also told her what LGBT means if she sees it out somewhere.

After telling her the list of sexualities in the acronym, Squishy hugged me, checking if I was bisexual.  I told her no, but said that lots of people that she sees who are my friends are bisexual or gay.  I reminded her that I'm Agender, and explained being cisgender when she said she definitely felt like she was a girl.

We talked about a lot of the things that exist in my space that give me reason to celebrate pride.  That even though I'm straight, and cis-passing, I'm far outside of the cookie cutter push of societal acceptability.

I am Agender, and very masculine leaning.
I am demi-sexual, which often is dismissed as not being a thing at all.
I have a bisexual partner, who I do not fetishize or dismiss, unlike many people out there.
I am polyamorous, with two people I care about so incredibly.
I exist in a space that is dismissed by many, but I get to be proud of these aspects of my life, their discovery, and how they are a part of me no matter how much disapproval they may get.

Comments