Skip to main content

Unbothered and Unamused

Last weekend the gnome got married, to the girl he only wound up actually seriously dating because he got her pregnant three months after meeting her.  Squishy was involved in the wedding, so this was all I heard about from him for the longest time.

A few weeks ago, while picking Squishy up for a visit, he scrolls through his phone, and suddenly gets pissy.  He was throwing a fit, because his niece got a tattoo.  Upset because she should have considered the wedding, and the sleeveless dress.  First, I told him that the artist she wanted may be very difficult to book, and he kept going.  Then, I stopped him, and asked how his wedding gives him agency over her body.  That he shouldn't care about tattoos on her body, because she is who they asked to be there, not her unmarked arm.

He shut up, because he realized there was no winning.

Moving a bit more forward, just after my birthday, ma's friend came over.  We all sat in the dining room talking, and ma mentioned the gnome getting married.  Her friend turned to me, and immediately asked how I felt about that, and if I was ok with it. 

And I still can't really figure out why she asked.  If anything, I think it proves that she's not the most intelligent for not realizing the situation she's in, over caring what he does.  I am well and past that situation, and even as much as I will never forgive the things he did, and still very much hate him, he isn't worth the energy to care.

While speaking with Pyre, I realized it may be that weird social stigma about someone getting married before someone else.  And, there are a few things about this.  On my end, I don't put emphasis on getting married.  I would rather focus on building a healthy relationship than the act of getting married.  He on the other hand has proposed to every girlfriend he's had because he is afraid of being alone, and already been married once.  It's a very different focus, and absolutely shows a difference in security.

It's all just a lot of proof of growth on my part.


Comments