Skip to main content

Lack of Tradition

We're getting close to the holidays.  A time of hectic preparation, stress, and celebration.  It's also a time of routine, and tradition.

I've gotten a pile of poor news in regards to the holidays lately, and it's shaking up some of my favorite parts of this time of year.  Removing the few things I take joy in, and making me look forward to the coming season even less than normal. 

I've been told we aren't having Channukah at all this year.  Channukah starts just a few days before Christmas, and so my mom doesn't want to figure out how to do both, which means she just isn't.  It's upsetting, because I always prefer Channukah over Christmas.  It was always that holiday of less obligation.  When we invited everyone over, so we had some excuse to spend time together during such a busy period, and celebrate family and friends in the way the holidays should be, and without the obligation and forcefulness of Christmas.  Not having it is sad, and I will need to hope that I can find that time in other ways during the winter.

To top it off, ma has decided that I am not doing the cookiepocalypse, because she decided to buy some stupid loaf liners or something, and I have to make breads instead.  She doesn't want to realize, nor care, that this will actually be more work for me than all the cookies, and I don't even know if this will work the way she expects.  There's also the fact that people have come to expect and enjoy the cookies every year, and the difference of being handed a small loaf of bread instead of a variety of cookies is going to be very disappointing for many people.

It's a lot of difference, and it has me not looking forward to the coming months for the small number of things I would normally get to enjoy.

Hopefully something good comes from it to make me feel better instead.


Comments