Skip to main content

Active Avoidance

I've noticed something popping up in articles, and had no idea what it was.  This concept of "cuffing season" that I had to look into to figure out what it is. 

Apparently, this time of year we're supposed to be drawn attaching ourselves to people for the span of the holidays.  That we try to find a partner to avoid the awkward questions of our status from family, or to avoid loneliness during holiday celebrations.

And I mean, I don't know if I've ever been completely unpartnered during the holidays, even with not having a partner that society sees as normal for a long time.  However, even besides that, I also haven't spent a holiday itself with the people I care about for many years.  It's been a separate thing that everyone does on their own, because we all have our own lives.

It's something that has never really bothered me too terribly much, if at all.  Of course, I want to spend time with the people I care about, but no more than any other day.  I want to know that they are doing something that makes them happy.  And honestly, at this point I've had so many people asking about my relationship status, or family making things up and having to correct them, that I just don't care anymore.  I don't feel a need for a traditional relationship, or a need to prove anything.

Other people make for awkward situations.  What my relationships are, and what shape they have belong to me and whoever  I am connected to, not the people asking.  I don't need to make them feel validated with my relationship status, just as my life isn't any less valid by not having a relationship that is deemed socially acceptable or normal.

Sure, we're drawn to have relationships this time of year, but let it be whatever ones we already have, no matter what sort they are.  Let us use this time of year to cultivate growth and connection with the people we keep around, rather than cling to the idea of something new just to shut someone else up.

Comments