Skip to main content

Pleasant Reminders

I think every parent hopes that their child feels safe talking to them.  I know one of the biggest things that gets considered when I teach Squishy about anything is that in the future, she'll be comfortable talking to me about important things.  At the same time, I've been the one to teach her about all manner of actual life topics, which she wouldn't learn about anywhere else.

And before I go further, I'm going to mention that I did get her consent before writing this.

A couple weeks ago, I am at the bus stop to get Squishy after school, and she runs off the bus and yells something at me that I don't quite get.  I ask her to repeat herself while we walk home, and she says that she likes a girl and thinks she might be gay.  I mention her liking boys, and she says that she does, and that in this case she might be bi.  It's all just sort of matter of fact how she says it with me.  No hesitation, and far easier for her to tell me than on occasions when she had a crush on a boy.

She says mentioned it to a kid at school, and the kid said not to tell parents, and that it would take them a year to work up the courage to do that.  Squishy flat out said she felt more comfortable telling me than anyone else.  She also said she doesn't feel comfortable telling my parents, or even the gnome. 

Honestly, I don't care who she likes, so long as that person treats her well.  However, I'm glad that she had no hesitation in feeling safe to tell me, and it was one of those moments that tell me that even if she is difficult, and being a parent is weird, and nothing is guaranteed, I'm doing a decent job.

Now, there's a whole world of other conversations I need to decide whether or not to have with her, that all kind of come from this.  I'm still worried about being someone who she feels safe with, but I'm glad that this gets to be a job that's just mine.

Comments