Skip to main content

Strangely Understanding

There's been a lot going on with Squishy lately, I know.  She's getting to where there's a lot of things happening that I can try to teach her about that are more mature topics, and apparently she's comfortable enough to talk to me about those things, but that's for another post.

I still get up with her every morning to try and get her ready for school.  She needs another person to sort of kick her in the butt, and make sure she gets everything done in time to make it to the bus stop.  Oliver also thinks putting Squishy on the bus is his job, and he's not allowed to go by himself, as much as that would make things far easier.

While she gets herself ready, we sometimes groan and fail to wake up, and sometimes there is actual conversation.  One morning, we're sitting there, as I slowly work on my coffee, and make a comment about something.  Squishy starts yelling about how the person I had mentioned was cheating, even though it was a silly situation where cheating wasn't even a thing.

Half asleep, I looked at her and cut her off.  She apparently understood that cheating was a thing, but now I had to give her a more healthy and realistic idea of it.  Unfortunately, a ten year old with very little knowledge of relationships isn't going to be able to grasp too terribly much. 

We did it though.  I told her about how some people feel like even talking to someone else is considered cheating, and how no one should keep anyone from contact with someone else.  I talked about how cheating should simply be looked at from the secret keeping aspect of things, because things can be negotiated and consenting in different relationships due to varying levels of comfort and security.

I even mentioned concepts of poly a bit, but that's something to get into with her far more when she's a little older.

In the end, I stopped her a couple more times, but now she seems to have a far more secure sense of what to ask of someone once she does start looking at partners.

Parenting is still weird.

Comments