Skip to main content

Something to learn

 Over the summer, a friend wound up getting a ton of spools of rope "seconds".  Perfectly sturdy jute, and all full spools, from a good quality rope maker.  They had some small aesthetic issues that kept them from being able to be sold as normal.

And so, this friend started passing the spools around.  One to Kitty, one for Pyre, and apparently, one for me.

During the first span of lockdown, I had thought about learning to self tie.  I was drawn to the idea of learning the skill as a challenge for myself, and as something fun to do.  I however, had no rope.

Here I was now though, with a whole spool, needing to be cut, finished, and treated.  Requiring all the work that riggers would need for a full kit, rather than newer rope tops, who would normally opt for something lower maintenance, or at least getting something fully treated.

It's interesting thought,  cutting it down myself, and learning to finish the ends.  I'm going through and whipping them in different colors, so I know which are what length, and marking the centers.  Even if I never get into tying a ton, I will absolutely be able to say that I've put together a hell of a kit.

It's a new skill, and something I'm happy I have the chance to learn, even if it's taking a lot of work before I get to that point.

Comments