Skip to main content

Surprise Dropkick

The end of the first week of isolation with schools closed was hard.  Teachers were difficult, parents were worse, and Squishy wasn't helping.

I was already mentally compromised, and running on fumes, but trying to keep chugging along.  And then I got a call to tell me Felix, who I've mentioned here, passed away.  It was definitely a death that hit me harder than the majority have in the past.

Now that I've had a day to process, it's still weird, but I'm better. 

It's still weird though, hitting that point where someone who was a partner of mine is gone.  That's something that I haven't yet had to figure out mentally.

It feels very strange, losing someone who never lost their infatuation with you.  That unrequited love that we never did figure out exactly how to work around.  That awkward thing we worked around because of mutual friends, and genuinely wanting to be able to figure out a friendship that made us both happy.

I realized that evening, while trying to grasp onto those few fumes I had left mentally, that I've lost a handful of people in the last couple of years.  None of them were old, and all of them were making strides in their life. 

It reminds me how important it is to both take care of yourself.  If not for the typical reasons, but to hope that you get that much more time with the people you care about.  And on that note, to make sure to let those people know how much they mean to you.

Comments