Skip to main content

Fuck You, Pay Me

Last week, Zero checked in to see how I was doing with the lockdown.  We caught up a bit, made sure we were both ok, and then he asked if I had any free time for artwork.  Being between projects, I told him that I could potentially take something else on.  There were no other details yet.

He then said that the deadline would ideally be a week later, but could be something for next year, because it was for his friend's birthday.

And proceeded to tell me he wanted a full deck of many things from D&D, with all JoJo's Bizarre Adventure art.  That's 25 fully drawn and colored custom pieces of fanart, to a specific size, that would then need to be printed on a one off service.

He just talked about it like it was a casual request.  Like I would be happy to put aside anywhere from 100-200 hours for something that would be a birthday present for someone else, like asking someone to pick up milk when they visit.

You know what would have made me less angry about this, is asking if I could take on a job.  Asking if I do commissions.  Paying fucking artists for their work.

If he went to any artist he would find online, he'd be paying upward of five thousand for that many pieces.  If he seriously comes back to me asking about it, I'm flat out telling him I want at least a thousand dollars, because he's not taking at least a full month of my time from the other things I'm doing for free.

The worst part is, he constantly posts things on social media about paying artists and dying of exposure, and all that.  Then he goes and does this.

Fuck you, Pay me.

Comments