Skip to main content

Painted into a Corner

The other day, I got caught in a bit of a thought loop, that I'm still not quite able to get myself out of.

What is the most accurate way for me to describe my sexual orientation?

For years, I always just said I was straight.  Saying that I was female bodied, and attracted to male bodied people.  And that was fine for a long time, but even though my attraction hasn't changed, the reasoning may have.  

Using that phrasing sounds trans-exclusionary, both for others, and myself.  It starts to sound like I would only be attracted to cis-men, and while I haven't met a transperson I have been sexually attracted to, it isn't off the table.  Likewise, from a societal perspective, it starts to invalidate my own gender, and creates the assumption that I am a ciswoman, which isn't true either.

Were a gun pressed to my head, and forced to choose in the binary, I would say I'm a binary trans man every day.  That's not the most accurate thing for me either though, which is why this becomes so difficult.  Regardless, is calling myself gay then more appropriate because it relates to a gender I identify slightly closer to for myself?  

I feel like because I only have sexual attraction to one side of the spectrum, finding correct language means having to almost decide a binary gender for myself.  And I know that shouldn't be the case, but that's the situation created with the language we have.

It's a weird little corner I'm stuck in, and I don't have the right words to get out.

Comments